[GLLUG] Paid help sought

Rick Crust rick at bold.org.uk
Tue Mar 31 09:37:21 UTC 2015

Hello ...

I'm not certain I have understood Rob Bowman's problem completely -- but
his context seems familiar. I run several 'silver surfer' projects around
Hackney and the City of London. I carry a bag of Android tablets to
community centres and other places where older people are learning about
digital technology for the first time. Some of those places (including
streets and parks) have no wifi or no Internet connection at all. So I also
carry a 4G mobile wifi hotspot. Much of the time I want to demonstrate
online music, video, photos and ebooks -- but if my learners download those
files from the Internet, the entire 4G monthly plan would be used up in a
single session. It would also be very slow.

My solution -- which is nothing to do with Linux -- is this gadget:
Mobilelite G2 ( http://www.kingston.com/en/wireless/wireless_readers#mlwg2
). I can load up context-specific SD cards or flash drives for each
project, then the gadget acts as a short-range private password-protected
network, wherever we are. It's not a perfect solution (the gadget supports
a maximum 8 concurrent connections, and the range of supported filetypes is
narrow), but it's cheap.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 4:00 PM, Rob Bowman <rob at artangel.org.uk> wrote:

> If anyone can suggest anyone who may be able to help, or a good place to
> find them, I’d be hugely grateful.
>
> I am looking for someone to help me get an internet access point setup, in
> a domestic setting, which would
> effectively host a hotspot login.
>
> Having researched it (from scratch, with no knowledge) I understand now
> that a possible solution is to get a
> router set up running OpenWRT in order to use a commercial (pay-per-use)
> service. Because of lack of
> connectivity locally the router needs to reach the internet via a 3G
> dongle, preferably the one we have
> on contract from Three (Huawei E3550). I’m imagining that I may need to
> get a new router with a usb port to
> plug it into.
>
> Actually achieving the setup is beyond my skills. I work in the arts for a
> charity making art projects
> and exhibitions. Getting this working will enable us to allow visitors to
> access sound files (the artwork)
> on mobile devices, having first hit a login page for the hotspot we create.
>
> I want to record here that I did begin to try! I learnt to get OpenWrt
> onto a router that I had, before I hit
> the wall of not being able to get it to connect to the internet using the
> LuCI interface and being scared off
> by command line configurations...

Cheers :-)