[GLLUG] Question about software updater problem

Steve Parker steve at steve-parker.org
Mon Apr 25 14:31:10 UTC 2016

Hi Jackie,

When you first installed the PC, it should have asked you to choose a username and password (along with a name for the PC itself, and a few other questions). It is that password which you need to enter.

If you are not sure of the password, you reset it quite easily:

1) open a terminal (just type "Terminal" in the dash bar).

2) Then run this command in the terminal window, followed by pressing the RETURN key:
  sudo passwd $USER
You should be prompted to enter a new password for your user. You can choose a new password, and this will now be the password to use for the system updates, too.

Steve