[GLLUG] Network/Systems Engineer at The Positive Internet Company

Stephen Harker stephen at positive-internet.com
Thu Apr 28 08:05:35 UTC 2016

Hi All,

Long time no post. I hope all is well :) As the subject says, we're
looking for a Network/Systems person at the moment and we'd like to hear
from anyone that might be interested. Here is the blurb:

Network/Systems Engineer at The Positive Internet Company

The company

Very few organisations focus on GNU/Linux and Free Software like
Positive does. From the company's desktop machines through to complex
computing clusters, as well as in much of our networking stacks, our
commitment to free and open source software shines through. Would you be
interested in a rare opportunity to work for a company with that
dedication?

Positive Internet has been providing managed-cloud services based on
Free/Open Software for nearly 20 years, and we have a position available
to join our lively team providing support for a range of GNU/Linux
systems running secure networked services for some of the globe's
biggest brands.

The role

We seek someone with experience in networking, system administration,
and DevOps to join us as a Network/Systems Engineer, at an initial
salary between £30,000 and £40,000 p/a. Starting salary dependent on
experience and location; Positive offers excellent prospects for career
development.

You will be fluent in TCP/IP network terminology and an interest in
routing and network management is a must. You should ideally have
experience with Juniper and/or CISCO hardware and configuration
alongside an interest in Open Source networking. You will also have
experience in some aspects of GNU/Linux sysadmin, tuning the LAMP stack,
shell scripting, DevOps methodologies, configuring HA hardware, software
and storage clusters.

Reporting to the CTO with respect to policy, and to the Technical Team
Manager for everyday tasks, you will, nonetheless, be expected to work
autonomously on a number of projects for the company and its clients,
ranging from configuring and tuning new private clouds to coordinating
technical relationships with our network service providers.

You will have the full assistance of the Positive team, as well as
third-party support for external routing, network maintenance, and
incident response.

Details

We can offer this position in one of two locations either working from
our offices in Soho, the very heart of London's West End or in the NOC
of our wholly-owned data centre in Cambridgeshire (by train, 14 minutes
from Peterborough, 30 minutes from Cambridge).

Whilst your role will generally be an on-premises position, we will
offer some home-working opportunities. You will join the Technical Team
on-call rota which involves occasional weekend working remunerated
separately.

Positive gives a good holiday allowance (25 days + bank holidays +
goodwill days around Christmas/New Year), lots of training
opportunities, funding to attend free software conferences such as
FOSDEM and network-related training/conferences, company mobile phone,
and the chance to work with some of the best free software experts in
the business.

Apply

This position should interest anyone with a networking/sysadmin
skills-mix who wants to work with Linux in a completely Windows-free
zone. If you are interested please send an email and CV (PDF only,
please) to jobs at positive-internet.com. Please ensure the subject line of
your email includes the job title "Network/Systems Engineer".

Cheers! :)

Stephen

--
Stephen Harker
Chief Technology Officer
The Positive Internet Company.

--
All postal correspondence to:
The Positive Internet Company, 24 Ganton Street, London. W1F 7QY

*Follow us on Twitter* @posipeople

The Positive Internet Company Limited is registered in England and Wales.
Registered company number: 3673639. VAT no: 726 7072 28.
Registered office: Northside House, Mount Pleasant, Barnet, Herts, EN4 9EE.