[GLLUG] Wifi router requirements for hosting Linux box on LAN

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Fri Dec 9 12:06:11 UTC 2016

On 09/12/16 12:00, gvim via GLLUG wrote:
> I want to host a web app on a Linux box connected to a wifi LAN to
> service about 250 people in the same room which could be a large
> restaurant or pub.

IANA wifi router expert, but I did a little research a while back and
the impression I got then was that 250 connections to a single WiFi
router was cloud-cuckoo land.

As far as I can remember the figures, you can expect to be able to
handle up to maybe 10 users on the kind of box you get free from your
ISP.  Middling stuff like the MicroTik boxes might get you 30-40.  There
are boxen around which claim to be able to support 100 simultaneous
users, but again the advice which I was given was to take that with a
pinch of salt and budget for 50-60 users on that kind of kit.

I repeat - this is all second hand info.

Cheers,
John