[GLLUG] Experience installing Linux with EFI boot

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Feb 4 12:26:50 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 04, 2016 at 12:22:38PM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:

> I found that when installing from scratch without preserving a previous OS it
> was easiest to use "expert" mode but select guided formatting to configure the
> EFI boot layout if required by the hardware, then step back to view what has
> been proposed before selecting "manual" to complete the format as desired.

Before reinstalling take a copy of the EFI partition. There might be a hardware
specific diagnostic tool there (HP have one). Copy it back when you have
reinstalled, it can be useful if you have hardware problems - then generic Linux
hardware diagnostics don't tell you a lot.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/