[GLLUG] Recommendations for computer repair in North London

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Fri Feb 5 20:49:33 UTC 2016

On Friday 05 Feb 2016 19:57:41 Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> A friend's son has built a machine but it doesn't work - it seems the CPU
> fan cuts out when it gets warm and then the whole box dies.
>
> I have had a look and cannot see what is wrong - whether it's the mobo or
> something else.
>
> He'd like to have a professional look at it - though without spending a
> fortune.
>
> Any recommendations? (N8/N10/N2 or surrounding areas)
>
> Adrian

Does the fan seize up / need oil? Sleeve bearings dry out but can be oiled by
peeling the label, removing any rubber plug, and dropping some clean oil in
before replacing the label. It requires a good quality light oil that can
stand increased temperatures without getting sticky, I have used vehicle ATF
and Castrol HiSpin.
Is the heat sink blocked below the fan body? The fan is usually held on the
heat sink with 4 screws. Fresh heat transfer compound will be required if the
heatsink is moved.
Is the fan power connector the correct way round? Most (but not all)
motherboards have the same connections, and are often marked.

Chris Bell