[GLLUG] SSD

Matthew Copperwaite mattcopp at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 15:09:18 UTC 2016

On 29 Feb 2016 14:39, "T Menezes" <tm.onthemove at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have recently upgraded my laptop with an SSD - Crucial MX200 500GB
SATA, CT500MX200SSD1.

> For work reasons I have to dual-boot the laptop between Ubuntu Mate &
Windows 7. What is the current view regarding management & defragmenting
the SSD?

> Crucial claims the MX200 is capable of an enormous amount of writes
before folding over so I suppose defraging is not an issue. Is there
actually any benefit of defragmenting the hard drive (in Windows)?

> Thanks
> TM

I pressed send too early, I found this:

http://superuser.com/questions/601129/should-i-defrag-an-ssd-drive

Which has another great point. An SSD has no seek time so there would be no
benefit having the data blocks in other locations.