[GLLUG] Will the sale of ARM Holdings be blocked by the UK government?

Alistair Mann al at pectw.net
Tue Jul 19 12:01:54 UTC 2016

On 19/07/2016 11:54, Marcus Harriott via GLLUG wrote:
> Sorry
>
> I am in finance - not computing ( as should be obvious?) and I have no
> idea what top posting is....

Bottom-posting is putting a reply underneath that being replied to, and
is considered more conversational, and (should!) lead to consensus the
futher down one reads: hypothesis, antithesis, synthesis. You'll find it
used in Academia and other institutions that value peers over hierarchy.

Top-posting is putting the reply above that being replied to, and
carries the implication that the top-poster has a seniority of some
sort. "This is what we're going to do (see email below for background)".
It's more widely used in hierarchical structures such as business,
government, military.

Best wishes,
--
Alistair Mann