[GLLUG] Will the sale of ARM Holdings be blocked by the UK government?

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Tue Jul 19 07:41:06 UTC 2016

It's a wonderful deal, and the government are saying that it's an
example of the continuation of investment despite our forthcoming end of
the failed European experiment.

Politics are something not really to be discussed in polite company
(like on this list, for example), but the widespread fearmongering and
naysaying about "Brexit" are very misinformed.  You just have to modify
the Monty Python "What have the Romans ever done for us?". When applied
to the EU, there's really only one thing that's positive - the freedom
of movement that came with the increased integration.

Even freedom of movement has - ultimately - worked against us over the
longer term.  We've squandered incredible amounts of money, supporting
the PIGS (Portugal, Italy, Greece, Spain), and the larger part of our
ridiculously huge contribution has been used to pay dole in those
countries, where unemployment is a gigantic problem. Granted, we've
received some of our money back, but it's a remarkably small percentage
of our overall stipend.

The "Remain" side claimed that we'd have to negotiate new Trade deals
with Europe.  That's plainly nonsense - we buy more from Europe than we
sell to them, so any trade tariff in Europe would work against them.
Our position as a trading country is actually strengthened by being able
to make our own deals.

The UK was the only European country that was stupid enough to apply
most of the European legislation handed down to us from Brussels and
Strasbourg as if it was holy writ.  Untangling the judicial and
legalistic mess will probably take a generation, but with forward
looking government, an intelligent and motivated Civil Service and with
the backing of an enthusiastic populace, the UK can become the
pre-eminent country in the region - as we were for much of the last two
centuries.

Our first priority should be to repair the education system - our system
was largely destroyed by the Useful Idiots of the Wilson government with
their "Comprehensive" scam.  We need a properly educated population and
need to properly value our REAL professionals.  "Media studies" is a way
to keep the ill-educated off the streets for a further three years, but
isn't a degree subject!

We need to repeal the worthless European legislation that was foisted
upon us to ensure that we could not be competitive.  We need to consider
how the rights of residency are to be applied, and ensure that no
benefits (including free access to the Health Service) are provided
until an immigrant has contributed at least five years' Tax and National
Insurance.

We need to sort out the mess that is the National Health Service.  A
good start will be to simply fire the two layers of bureaucracy
introduced by Blair and Brown to fiddle the unemployment statistics -
they do nothing useful and are actually detrimental to the effective
operation of the service.  Any hospital with more "managers" and
clerical staff than Doctors and Nurses (as is frequently the case)
cannot work properly.....

Getting this exit from the EU right is going to take intelligence and
courage, but with the right government (no current UK party actually
offers a viable solution) and some effort, we can be proud to be British
again!  We need (effectively) a wartime government drawn from the best
of all parties to sort this mess out.

<rant off>