[GLLUG] FTTC information?

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Sun Jul 24 16:03:05 UTC 2016

On Sunday 24 Jul 2016 13:50:10 John Winters via GLLUG wrote:
> On 23/07/16 19:05, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I am trying to discover what information is supplied for a new BT
> > domestic FTTC connection, but of course getting information from BT is
> > like getting blood from stone.
>
> And service, and customer support, and clue.
>
> Honestly - why are you even contemplating buying service from BT?  Go
> with a competent supplier like A&A and you can talk directly to people
> with all the technical knowledge you could ask for.  Although they claim
> XKCD/806 compliance, in practice one doesn't even need to go that far.
> The first person you speak to will be able to converse at a deep
> technical level.
>
> Yes, if your only criterion is price then they don't seem so attractive,
> but if you want a proper competent service at a reasonable price then
> they have some very attractive packages available.
>
> As long as people put up with the completely crap service provided by
> the likes of BT and Talk Talk, simply because it's cheap, it will never
> get any better.
>
> John
Hello John,
Thanks for the reply.
At the moment I am paying for basic BT phone and line charge, plus 17.99 per
month for unlimited reliable 12Mbps broadband, unlimited email addresses via
PoP3, and website, plus 5.00 pa for chrisbell.org.uk domain registration,
emails routed through the main account, and website, but I am receiving
unfiltered spam, and the promised DNS control does not work so I am unable to
filter incoming SMTP myself. There is no response to email requests.

My website totals less than 1MBytes, and that could easily be handled by a
RaspberryPi, let alone any of the server boxes sitting around here.

I am being showered with offers from BT for unlimited basic FTTC at 10.00 per
month, and I would then have some roaming access, but I would first transfer
my chrisbell.org.uk to a UK-based provider such as Mythic-Beasts.com for
around 5.00 pa. This is still less than I am paying for broadband.

A fixed IP address of any variety would be useful as long as it works, and I
suspect that my area will receive priority treatment because it is within the
"Park Royal" development area in West London, and there are two separate new
university accommodation tower blocks plus several other new tower blocks of
flats, with more being built, within a few hundred yards ready for both
Crossrail and eventually HS2 a short distance away.

If BT IPv6 is not stated to be static they may introduce some kind of "privacy
extension" variation to reduce tracking and fraud.

Unfortunately BT are not renowned for customer communication and support.

Chris Bell