[GLLUG] "Data-poisoning" & "Data Safety" -- Wisdom, please!

Alistair Mann al at pectw.net
Fri Jun 3 00:00:29 UTC 2016

On 02/06/2016 00:13, DL Neil wrote:

 > It intrigues me that as 'everything' seems to be moving to 'the cloud',
 > we are back to thinking in terms of local/physical presence.

There are people who earn 79 new British pee a month from folk thinking
'everything' is moving to 'the cloud'. And yet the WSJ correctly
identified it as just "someone else's computer" in 2007, and that's
certainly the route I take. I think you're absolutely right that people
are thinking in terms of local/physical: I'm often asked "I want
pictures I take on my iphone on my laptop, but once there, I don't want
them on the phone. Yet when I delete them, it seems to fill up with
laptop pictures almost immediately." Without acknowledging data has the
quality of place (and your 'authoritative copy' is an excellent concept
- thank you), it's impossible to comprehend what's going on. The cloud
makes that acknowledgement that much harder - and so rent-seeking that
much easier.

Thanks for your insights on Data Security and Management; they've opened
up new avenues for me. It seems clear from here and elsewhere that if I
think that the original concepts should be handled as related, I need to
assert that specifically.

Cheers,
--
Alistair Mann