[GLLUG] Linux on Power8

TT Mooney ttmooney at ttmooney.com
Thu Jun 23 14:01:04 UTC 2016

On 23/06/16 14:30, Mike Brodbelt via GLLUG wrote:
> If you want freedom all the way down, you're probably going to end up
> having to get a Yeelong Lemote, favoured computer of RMS. That's
> probably as secure as you're likely to manage, but you've traded off
> more convenience than most are prepared to give up in order to get
> there. There are no easy answers.

The reality of the complicated nature of the computers that we use is
that even RMS probably isn't sure if his system is really secure, but at
least if the firmware is free and open there's the theoretical
possibility to audit it. But that's pretty much highly theoretical.

And someone stole his Lemote in Argentina -- he's using a Thinkpad X60
flashed with Libreboot, running Trisquel. And from what he told me, it's
much better than the Lemote was, although perhaps a little less geek
street cred.

There are some interesting open source hardware programmes for
processors out there, but building something like SH, OpenRISC or RISC V
into a complete system is a huge task.

******

Travis Mooney
Technologist and Writer