[GLLUG] Linux on Power8

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Thu Jun 23 16:09:36 UTC 2016

Hi Dennis,

On 23 June 2016 at 13:16, dennis--- via GLLUG <gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:
> Can anyone comment about running a Linux desktop environment such as
> Debian or Ubuntu on the Power 8 architecture? Supposedly there's a
> Debian port, but I'd like to know of any possible pitfalls from
> someone who has actually tried it before splashing out a few grand on
> a board.

Ubuntu fully supports the POWER8 (and OpenPOWER) architecture as of
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. However, the supported/tested use case is whilst
running Ubuntu *server*. This means that you would likely have to do
some tech work to get a usable windowing environment running and
possibly other client-related applications. It would be a cool project
to try if you have time to do so.

This might get easier soon if/when the Talus workstation is released:
https://www.raptorengineering.com/TALOS/prerelease.php

(This isn't an official Ubuntu project, but a very cool one!)

Cheers,
Al.