[GLLUG] Adding a second ethernet interface

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Mon May 9 18:04:22 UTC 2016

On Monday 09 May 2016 17:49:46 you wrote:
> > NetworkManager is installed by default, which is supposed to make
> > things easy, with a variety of helpful commands, but I find it just
> > complicates everything, yet if I do not use an approved configuration
> > procedure any settings are likely to be lost if NetworkManager is
> > updated. Am I alone?
>
> No. NetworkManager is great for some use-cases, but a pain in others. I
> find it's great for the desktop, but I wouldn't use it on a server. If
> it doesn't work for you, I'd be tempted just to remove it and configure
> manually: https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration
>
> Andy

Thanks, that about matches my thoughts. I lost count of the different MAN
pages that may or may not be relevant, and there is loads of information to
plough through in /usr/share/doc/ but even if I attempt to just copy the setup
from another file I just get referred back to more documentation when I try to
save something.

Chris Bell