[GLLUG] Adding a second ethernet interface

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Mon May 9 19:51:51 UTC 2016

On Monday 09 May 2016 19:04:02 Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> On Monday 09 May 2016 17:49:46 you wrote:
> > > NetworkManager is installed by default, which is supposed to make
> > > things easy, with a variety of helpful commands, but I find it just
> > > complicates everything, yet if I do not use an approved configuration
> > > procedure any settings are likely to be lost if NetworkManager is
> > > updated. Am I alone?
> >
> > No. NetworkManager is great for some use-cases, but a pain in others. I
> > find it's great for the desktop, but I wouldn't use it on a server. If
> > it doesn't work for you, I'd be tempted just to remove it and configure
> > manually: https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration
> >
> > Andy
>
> Thanks, that about matches my thoughts. I lost count of the different MAN
> pages that may or may not be relevant, and there is loads of information to
> plough through in /usr/share/doc/ but even if I attempt to just copy the
> setup from another file I just get referred back to more documentation
> when I try to save something.
>
> Chris Bell

It is difficult to figure out where to start. It would be nice to use the
system provided, as intended, but there appear to be too many systems.

There is a working connection through the PCI ethernet card, but only the
loopback interface is listed in /etc/network/interfaces, which claims to have
been created by the empty /etc/network/interfaces.d/

NetworkManager appears to be partially configured although inactive, and Avahi
appears to be unconfigured but active. There is no mention of the on-board
ethernet, although I know it does work.

The Debian information suggests that NetworkManager should be inactive by
default for a wired connection. There is no shortage of large MAN pages,
although perhaps some are out of date.

Chris Bell