[GLLUG] Help for a newbie. Installing Ubuntu

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Tue May 24 10:32:43 UTC 2016

On Tuesday 24 May 2016 00:24:13 Mike Brodbelt via GLLUG wrote:
> On 23/05/16 21:28, Christopher Hunter via GLLUG wrote:
> > I've now seen three laptops that have Windows10 "baked in".  There is no
> > way to circumvent this - in the case of one machine, it was actually
> > infesting a flash RAM.
>
> That is pretty unpleasant.
>
> The OP had a Lenovo Ideapad 100S - a quick search suggests this model
> omits the "compatibility support modules", and supports only UEFI boot.
> Attempting to boot from a normal Ubuntu image (either on USB or CD)
> relies on BIOS compatibility mode, so that seems to be a dead end for
> this laptop.
>
> There's a page which has credible sounding information here:-
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/684041/ubuntu-debian-on-a-lenovo-ideapad-10
> 0s-linux-has-issues-with-this-laptop
>
> Personally, I mostly try to avoid UEFI. For a single OS system, where
> you're not really interested in "secure boot", UEFI offers no real
> advantages.
>
> Mike

Not sure if it is possible, but I would consider DD to copy the entire drive,
keep the original safe and swap to a replacement, then play with that. Attempt
to boot a "live" Linux image from M$ and install from that to the replacement
drive. A quick look at the Lenovo website found a 64-page hardware maintenance
manual including replacing a drive and installing an OS, but there is a hidden
partition with diagnostics and recovery software.

Chris Bell