[GLLUG] Help for a newbie. Installing Ubuntu

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.org.uk
Mon May 23 23:24:39 UTC 2016

On 23/05/16 21:28, Christopher Hunter via GLLUG wrote:

> I've now seen three laptops that have Windows10 "baked in".  There is no
> way to circumvent this - in the case of one machine, it was actually
> infesting a flash RAM.

That is pretty unpleasant.

The OP had a Lenovo Ideapad 100S - a quick search suggests this model
omits the "compatibility support modules", and supports only UEFI boot.
Attempting to boot from a normal Ubuntu image (either on USB or CD)
relies on BIOS compatibility mode, so that seems to be a dead end for
this laptop.

There's a page which has credible sounding information here:-

https://askubuntu.com/questions/684041/ubuntu-debian-on-a-lenovo-ideapad-100s-linux-has-issues-with-this-laptop

Personally, I mostly try to avoid UEFI. For a single OS system, where
you're not really interested in "secure boot", UEFI offers no real
advantages.

Mike