[GLLUG] Weaving Our Own Web 08/11/2016 Introducing coding... for campaigners

zylum at peacenews.info zylum at peacenews.info
Fri Nov 4 13:57:39 UTC 2016

Dear LUGites,
     Have you ever wanted to intice friends into your techie world? Why
not reccomend this workshop to them? Coding for campaigners is for
anyone, no mater how basic their starting knowledge, so long as they are
commited to learning. Campaigners can mean anyone - whether you are an
evangelist for free/libre software or concerned about the impacts of
austerity on your neighbourhood.

Please spread the word, there are too few of us with techie know-how,
Benjamin.

-----------------------
Weaving Our Own Web - Introducing coding... for campaigners
Islington, London, 8 November 2016, 7pm
Islington, London, 13 December 2016, 7pm

The event is free, but places are limited. Please book via Eventbrite:
https://eventbrite.co.uk/e/28786186258

Who is this for?
Weaving Our Own Web is for campaigners. Partly it's for people who find
WordPress complicated, or Facebook too invasive of their privacy. It's
also a place for people with skills who’re willing to support the
learning of others. (Maybe you're tired of being asked to help with
activist websites and would rather help people learn how to do things
themselves.)

What will happen at the event?
We plan to meet regularly to build our skills with digital tools, to
share tips and possibly develop new tools together.

Why learn coding?
Computer languages can be beautiful. Well-written computer programs can
read like poetry. We all know that computers don't always do what we
ask. Understanding more about machine languages will help in everything
you do with computers.

Who is putting this on?
We are activists who see the value of websites, email lists and so on in
campaigning on issues that matter. Mostly, we don't know how these tools
are built, or even how to use them to the full.

When?
If this describes you too, come to learn about computers at Weaving Our
Own Web on 8 November.

Why?
Zylum is a Peace News project to create online tools for campaigners. We
want to make systems easier to use, and protect them from the corporate
spying inherent in mainstream tools like Facebook and Google.

Logistics:
Please bring laptop capable of hooking up to WiFi, or a tablet -
preferably with a keyboard. A USB stick might also be useful.

We have meetings lined up for 8 November and 13 December in London.

Why?
Peace News is a radical nonviolence project that publishes a newspaper
every two months.
http://peacenews.info

Meetup details:
8 November 2016.
19:00-21:00 (7pm-9pm).
Resource for London, 356 Holloway Road, London, N7 6PA.
Nearest tube: Holloway Road.
Contact: admin at zylum.org
https://eventbrite.co.uk/e/28786186258
----