[GLLUG] Recycling computers with Linux

DL Neil GLLUG at GetAroundToIt.co.uk
Thu Nov 10 02:11:42 UTC 2016

Is there a way to offer recycled computers for sale to 'Joe Public',
which takes care of relative ignorance (of Linux) and embodies both
realism/common sense and ethically-sound principles?

I give my 20% time to the local Hospice who raise funds through
'OpShops" and by holding a weekly yard-sale of items generously donated
by locals for locals... The funds-raised approximately double the number
of nurses and counsellors 'provided' by government funding, to provide
palliative care of patients and their families.

The donated computers have all been WinXP or Vista driven, and of that
vintage. Clearing the HDD is a requirement. Re-installing the OpSys is
the easiest way to do this, but with WinXP being loyally-unsupported,
seems unsound - to say nothing of time-consuming. A Linux installation
has the potential, both to give the machine a new life and to provide a
secure and capable computing environment.

Do you think that members of the public (cf 'us' computer enthusiasts
and professionals) might be perfectly happy to purchase a machine they
know to have only modest capabilities, running a familiar-looking web
browser, email client, word processor, etc?

Thereafter, expecting such people to understand the implications of
Linux cf MS-Win is but a fantasy - even the garage sales manager who
suffered through the COBOL and FORTRAN 101 courses I enjoyed so much,
all those decades ago, and who uses a PC every day, confesses a lack of
appreciation... Accordingly, we wouldn't want folk buying a box and then
attempting to add some MSFT-compatible package purchased from Argos, et-al!

Such machines are likely to sell for less than $100, definitely in the
low hundreds, even for a 'big one'.

I have a backlog of at least seven, and the 'arrival rate' seems to
average one or two monthly.

So, whilst I would appreciate advice about the methodology of preparing
a viable user-image which could then be rapidly copied/ghosted onto the
various sizes of old HDDs; what's really occupying my mind is the
customer-relations and reputational aspects of ensuring yard-sale
customers know what they're getting into (and how little).

Will welcome any and all advice, particularly that born of experience...

--
Regards,
=dn