[GLLUG] Problems with three internet modem and broadband connection

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Thu Nov 10 08:51:39 UTC 2016

On 10/11/16 08:20, Marcus Harriott via GLLUG wrote:
> I ran an update about 14 days ago on my Ubuntu 16.04 . It was quite
> large so was probably a couple of months (more than one) update.
>
> I have a `Dell computer and i use a 'three' broadband dongle. I have to
> set up the internet each time  I start the computer by going to settings
> then Add connection and then add mobile broadband. ( the other option
> offered is cable ethernet.)
> This was clunky but worked until the update 2 weeks ago.
> Post update the network box says 'mobile broadband unavailable'. I know
> the dongle is working because; * a. *It works in the other computer ( a
> mac )and*b. *the green light on the dongle shows it is in contact with
> the 'three' base station.

Can't help you with the dongle I'm afraid - I used one of those a long
time ago and they always seemed to be rather a cludge.

Have you tried blagging a MiFi out of Three?  I've always found them
very willing to give me a free one if I suggest I will need to go
elsewhere to solve my problems.  It makes the whole process so much easier.

Cheers,
John