[GLLUG] Recycling computers with Linux

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Nov 10 15:51:39 UTC 2016

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 03:30:43PM +0000, Greater London Linux UUG wrote:

> I have recently rescued a batch of Dell Latitude D620 laptops from a
> landfill fate, cleaned them up, installed Mint 18, and handed them over to
> a group of older digital beginners. I have given them a series of tutorial

Digital beginners are great - they do not come with expectations that things
work in a certain way or that they can install some MS only bit of s/ware. They
know that they want to: visit this Interweb thingy, send email and write letters
(word processing) -- what their friends talk about. They expect to have to learn
and will listen.

Get them using Linux, then show them a MS Windows box and they will act as many
MS users do when asked to use Mint.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/