[GLLUG] Recycling computers with Linux

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Thu Nov 10 23:31:30 UTC 2016

On 10/11/16 15:51, Alain Williams via GLLUG wrote:

> Get them using Linux, then show them a MS Windows box and they will act as many
> MS users do when asked to use Mint.

Alain - that's not been my experience.  Reasonably computer-literate XP
users can (usually) easily make the move to "Mint".  I get frequent
comments like "It's very fast at copying files", "It doesn't take very
long to start up (or close down)" - a common complaint about Windows,
and "I'm surprised that it's so easy".

Mint nearly has everything right.  The maintenance and upgrade routines
are still a bit abstruse for ex-Windows users, but they can usually get
through it with a bit of explanation.  It has become the default OS in
several old people's homes that I know!

Chris