[GLLUG] Recycling computers with Linux

DL Neil GLLUG at GetAroundToIt.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 09:57:06 UTC 2016

Thank you to all for valued feedback.

As the discussion unfolded, I started thinking that Ubuntu might be a
better choice because there are books available from local 'better
bookshops'.

I had been thinking of Mint, and have been using it on my portable
(needed some up-to-date dependency a while back, so changed from CentOS
- sorry KBS!). I hadn't seen the critical article previously.

Had another meeting with Hospice Sales management this morning, and now
that they've understood that older, slower PCs can't simply be
turned-around and sold with Win10, their enthusiasm seems to have
evaporated. They were intrigued when I gave them stories of users who
have happily made the change, and who refer to "Firefox" or "email" and
never utter the words "Linux" or "Windows". We shall see...

As someone said, the effort:income ratio may not be v.efficient.
Although there are frequent enquiries if PCs might be available.

I'll be putting-in 'overtime' by attending tomorrow's sale, so will try
asking a few likely-customers for their reaction...

--
Thanks again,
=dn