[GLLUG] Recycling computers with Linux

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Tue Nov 15 12:22:05 UTC 2016

On 15/11/16 09:56, DL Neil via GLLUG wrote:
> Thank you to all for valued feedback.
>
> As the discussion unfolded, I started thinking that Ubuntu might be a
> better choice because there are books available from local 'better
> bookshops'.

Users don't read books about how to use computers.

Whichever Linux distro you choose you will need to carry out unattended
installations, probably using PXE. Anything that requires manual or
expert interventions is not going to be feasible. There was a
short-lived project to provide simplified Linux systems for crumblies,
Liam Proven wrote much of their software. It might still be available
although not from Simplicity http://www.simplicitycomputers.co.uk

--
Bernard Peek