[GLLUG] Recycling computers with Linux

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 12:45:37 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 12:21:18PM +0000, Greater London Linux UUG wrote:

> On 15/11/16 09:56, DL Neil via GLLUG wrote:
> >Thank you to all for valued feedback.
> >
> >As the discussion unfolded, I started thinking that Ubuntu might
> >be a better choice because there are books available from local
> >'better bookshops'.
>
> Users don't read books about how to use computers.
>
> Whichever Linux distro you choose you will need to carry out
> unattended installations, probably using PXE. Anything that requires
> manual or expert interventions is not going to be feasible. There
> was a short-lived project to provide simplified Linux systems for
> crumblies, Liam Proven wrote much of their software. It might still
> be available although not from Simplicity
> http://www.simplicitycomputers.co.uk

Interesting chat from a friend who was over for the w/end. Her laptop installed
MS Win 10 last year; she did not ask for it, etc. She does not like it and says
that it is crawling with virus and so will not connect it to the Internet;
rarely uses it.

I took her through installing Linux Mint (Mate desktop) on a spare laptop; a few
questions but otherwise used it happily all w/end.

Her only concern was that she has to use MS Windows boxes at work; using Linux
at home might make that harder for her.

It will be interesting to see if she uses the Mint install USB stick that I gave her.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/