[GLLUG] RADVD configuration

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Tue Apr 4 10:01:11 UTC 2017

On Monday 03 Apr 2017 13:34:24 Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to get to know more about IPv6 using a shoreline firewall
> (shorewall + shorewall6) on Debian without having a real allocated global
> address yet. I have a box with 4 ethernet interfaces sitting piggy-back on
> an IPv4 firewall, with the first interface using DHCP from the IPv4
> firewall. Each of the other interfaces would have the global address plus a
> site local fdxx address, where only the first 62 bits of the site local
> address prefixes are identical. I intended to use site local prefixes for
> local connections and an allocated global prefix for all non-local
> connections. I have installed bind9 on the firewall with all relevant
> addresses available. I can configure static boxes individually using
> IP-Route to choose the correct site or global prefix suitable for the
> destination, and shorewall6 appears able to configure its own interfaces
> with multiple addresses, but I am having problems trying to set up RADVD to
> provide the same information to laptops and other mobiles. Is it possible?
> Thanks for any information.

I have spent hours trying different entries, then"/etc/init.d/radvd start"
followed by reading "/etc/init.d/radvd status" error messages. I think that
according to the RADVD documentation the ABRO entry is available to list prefix
specific options for the interface name, (not listed under the prefix options),
but there are only two options listed, and they do not include options for the
source prefix to be used for any specific destination prefix. There is no mention
of the format to be used for route specific options, nor any suggestion that a
source prefix would be preferred for a specific route.
I have not found anything in the documentation about how to state the scope
for a prefix or for specifying a prefix for a given route, although a prefix can
be deprecated. I have seen messages that RADVD has not been given a link-local
prefix even when I include one in the prefix list, or include the complete link-
local address.
However RFC 3484 says that IPv6 ethernet interfaces should automatically
select the correct prefix.
--
Chris Bell
website chrisbell.org.uk