[GLLUG] ISP - How slow is usefull?

Dimitrios Siganos dimitris at siganos.org
Mon Apr 10 16:48:40 UTC 2017

On 10 April 2017 at 17:17, John Southall via GLLUG <gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk
> wrote:

> To save money I am considering changing from Virgin fibre to broadband.
> The BT speed estimate is a maximum of 2 to 6.5 Mbs and a guaranteed minimum
> of 1Mbs.
> I don't stream films, but I do enjoy Youtube and BBC Radio, will they be
> bearable at 2Mbs or less? I could download another Linux LTS, I suppose.
>
> I suspect that broadband will be a false economy, should I look elsewhere
> for savings?
>
> Thanks,
> John

1-2 Mbits is adequate for youtube access and the occasional CD download. As
long as it is not done by multiple people in parallel.
I don;t think it will be false economy because, even if the BT ADSL causes
the occasional blip, it is not likely to cost you monetary damages.
If you really like your fast internet access then stay with Virgin. I am a
happy Virgin customer and I have moved to virgin from BT ADSL. BT ADSL was
adequate but Virgin Fibre is so much better... but if you really need to
make the savings, and the extra speed is not something you depend on, then
it makes sense to step down.