[GLLUG] Debian apt

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Thu Aug 10 10:58:30 UTC 2017

Hello,
I normally do a daily check for updates on several computers running stretch,
normally via my local network. Some are used as servers without desktop,
others are running KDE. I do not rely on KDE to tell me that updates are
available, although it can indicate that security updates are available.
Aptitude creates /var/lib/apt/lists/lock but does not remove it after running
the update. If I remove it manually then aptitude will update the lists
normally, but will then frequently refuse to do an update later or next day,
either next time I run aptitude or even when I have left aptitude running from
the previous day, so it appears to not remember that it created the lock. I
have discovered that apt-get update can run with no change of time or date of
the existing lockfile.
I have just checked, and there are no bug reports. Does anyone else see this?
--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk