[GLLUG] A weird networking problem. Help!

Tim Woodall t at woodall.me.uk
Thu Jun 22 17:09:32 UTC 2017

On Thu, 22 Jun 2017, Alain Williams via GLLUG wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 05:28:45PM +0100, Greater London Linux UUG wrote:
>> I have the most bizarre networking problem and I'm struggling to think
>> what could possibly be causing it (other than a failing hack attempt by
>> the NSA or the like - I don't think I'd be interesting enough for anyone
>> to deliberately try to intercept my communications though)
>>
>> The symptoms manifest as failing (outbound, haven't tried inbound while
>> it's happening) SSH connections. The SSH connections seem to fail to
>> anywhere.  But http and https connections to the same host work fine.
>> (and there's no MITM certificate interception happening). Running ssh
>> and telling it to connect to a non ssh service fails in the way you
>> expect. Running SSH to an ssh service "hangs" and eventually times out.
>
> Have you tried connecting with telnet:
>
> telnet machine.name 22
>
> This might not tell much, but is such a simple test that it is not worth not doing.
>
> This will tell you if it is a ssh problem or a routing/connectivity issue.

I hadn't tried that - but I have done ssh -p 80 a.domain and I see:

Which suggests that ssh is outgoing on port 80 and the webserver doesn't
understand it and closes the connection. I've run a tcpdump capture on
the destination box for the ssh and I'll see what that shows but the
firewall logs don't show any SYN packets arriving.

Tim.