[GLLUG] Problem noticed following the latest update to Debian 8.8.0
chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Mon May 8 19:41:16 UTC 2017
I have just hit a problem on a computer running KDE on Debian. I check for and
install any software updates every day, and Debian was officially updated to
8.8.0 over last weekend. An updated kernel was installed together with around
30 other updates, and the computer was re-booted.
I discovered that a /bind/db.domain-name file that I was preparing on a USB
stick was mode 755. I tried to chmod it to mode 644, and the command appeared
to complete without error, but a ls -al showed that it was still 755.
I eventually opened the file in a simple text editor and then saved it to a
different location on the memory stick, and it was saved as mode 644, but every
time I tried to move or copy it to another different location it reverted to
755. This was just one of several /bind/db. files, and the others are 644,
although it was first created a few days before the others.
I have tried dismounting and re-mounting the USB stick, but I am not sure
whether this is a KDE quirk, a problem with the USB stick, or something else.
More information about the GLLUG