[GLLUG] Configuring a bind db.zone.ip6.arpa file

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Tue May 9 20:37:25 UTC 2017

Hello,
I am trying to configure a firewalled local network using a site local IPv6
address prefix. I have more than one domain name, and should be able to receive
emails addressed to them, plus any arriving through the email address
allocated by my ISP, at one or more mail gateways in my DMZ, and then relayed
through the firewall to one or more local mail servers. I would like a mail
server on my protected network to have a site local address, and respond to
each as mailserver.domain.name so that exim4 is happy..
It is easy to have a /bind/db.domain.name file for each, but I am trying to
configure a reverse ip6.arpa file to point from a single site local address (the
same box interface) to multiple names, and have not found any documentation on
how to enter the data.
Multiple bind options in other files can be entered on separate lines, preceded
by a "{" and with a semicolon ";" at the end of each line, with the last line
terminated by a "}" , while the documentation for a db.arpa file shows a single
name, which  can be on a separate line, preceded by a "(" and followed by a
")" but I am getting error messages about extra text appearing.
Is this the correct way to do it, or should I allocate multiple site local
addresses to the same interface, one for each domain name?
Any advice welcome, thanks.
--
Chris Bell
website chrisbell.org.uk