[GLLUG] Problem noticed following the latest update to Debian 8.8.0

Steve Parker steve at steve-parker.org
Wed May 10 18:21:34 UTC 2017

On 08/05/17 20:40, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> Hello,
> I discovered that a /bind/db.domain-name file that I was preparing on a USB
> stick was mode 755. I tried to chmod it to mode 644, and the command appeared
> to complete without error, but a ls -al showed that it was still 755.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab#Options mentions that you can 
set the apparent permissions of files/directories via dmask,fmask and 
umask. It could be something to do with that; IIRC there was also a 
setting which presented permissions based on filetype, eg, a foo.txt 
file would be 644 but foo.sh would be 755, though I can't just find 
anything to say that, so I'm probably wrong about that.

More information about the GLLUG mailing list