[GLLUG] Setting up an IPv6 test.

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Mon Oct 2 17:13:26 UTC 2017

On Monday, 2 October 2017 16:45:18 BST Robert McKay wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> afaik you could always use all the remaining network bits in the /48..
> so yes, n can be anything.
>
> I would also agree with other posters that it's better to get native
> IPv6 though. The 2002 prefix is sortof ghetto v6.. tcp socket clients
> will still prefer IPv4 vs. 2002 IPv6 if it's available.. so it will only
> get used with v6 only hosts, of which there aren't many.
>
> Rob

Thanks for the replies,
The mask appears to be important for IPv4, and 6to4 relies on external
gateways, so I was not sure whether the mask details were important.
I just want to get a test setup working on IPv6 before it appears as standard
without warning, so am not too bothered about the quality of 6to4 as long as
it works, although I aim to not break my current IPv4 setup. If and when I do
get IPv6 I do not know whether the IPv4 address will cease immediately.
I moved to plusnet (owned by BT) because I was not receiving replies from my
previous ISP (an entanet re-seller), plusnet worked out much cheaper for basic
FTTC than I was paying for ordinary broadband, and I was told that they were
about to roll out IPv6.
BT have since offered low prices, but I do not know whether their new
customers will get IPv6. Even talk-talk offers IPv6.
I have no reason to believe any promises from these ISP's and suspect that
problems with IPv6 on Microsoft mobile devices may be the real cause for
delay.
--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk