[GLLUG] Setting up an IPv6 test.

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Thu Oct 5 19:12:48 UTC 2017

On Thursday, 5 October 2017 16:34:37 BST you wrote:
> On 2 October 2017 at 19:08, Chris Bell via GLLUG <gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk>
> wrote:
> >
> > I did receive a plusnet modem but decided to get my own TP-Link instead so
> > that I have control. I have seen suggestions that they may just provide
> > 6to4.
>
> I have an ageing TP-Link TD-W8970. Enabling 6to4 is matter of ticking a box
> on it's administration interface. It gives perfectly good IPv6 via a
> TalkTalk connection with no other configuration.
>
> Dave

Sorry, I meant that plusnet do not seem interested in real IPv6 and may just
provide 6to4 instead. Many customers have been complaining for years. I am not
trying to turn my house into an IoT, only to learn some of the pitfalls with
IPv6 routing between the internet and multiple local networks running separate
fdxx::/8 site-local addresses.

I have a fairly new TP-Link VDSL which immediately gave me the 6to4 address
with 10 hex as the fourth block, but at least one RFC said that the fourth
block should be the IPv4 netmask. I only have a single address, which would
make it 20 hex.

There is an interesting article by RIPE NCC called "6to4 - why is it so Bad?"
It tends to cause havoc with firewalls.
--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk