[GLLUG] Raspbian "stretch" problems

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Sat Sep 2 17:03:46 UTC 2017

On Saturday, 2 September 2017 16:34:34 BST Steve Parker via GLLUG wrote:
> On 01/09/17 08:09, Philip Hands wrote:
> > Steve Parker via GLLUG <gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk> writes:
> >> To start it manually (without the "via systemd" note):
> >> systemctl start ssh
> >
> > I think you meant this (given your without systemd comment):
> >    service ssh start
>
> Chris had noted that he was getting the "via systemd-service" message,
> which was because he was using the init.d script (but he would get the
> same message from "service"), so I was actually just pointing out that
> using systemctl directly would achieve the same result without the "via
> systemd" message being displayed.
>
> The "service" command will presumably be deprecated at some point, once
> systemd has taken over the world! :-(

The days when configuration files were in /etc/ and hand editable there, with
helper scripts available if required, appear to be gone. Each new distribution
appears to provide everything that went before plus another "easy management"
layer on top. It usually takes me a while to follow the chain.

Taking network configuration as an example, with multiple files provided or
over-written by Network Manager, Avahi, and Systemd, each possibly restricted
by existing configurations, making it unclear where to start when I want to
make a relatively minor change to one interface.

--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk