[GLLUG] Dell Alienware 17 - anyone installed/used this with Linux?

Chris Vine vine35792468 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 12:45:42 UTC 2017

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 19:17:59 +0100
Bernard Peek via GLLUG <gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:
[snip]
> A caveat though. Mine is the R1 version with a 2.4GHz processor. It
> runs hot and sometimes overheats.

I have found that linux does not always detect the correct hardware
limits - at least it doesn't with my Dell M3800.  You can use
cpufreq-info to see what the system currently thinks the maximum speed
is.

My M3800 is a 4-core (8 virtual processor) 2.3Ghz machine and I have to
set the maximum speed explicitly to that value with cpufreq-set to avoid
overheating.

Chris