[GLLUG] VDSL PPPoE Config

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Thu Sep 21 20:15:55 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I have a Draytek 2860 VDSL router. The VDSL connection is sometimes
stable and at other times drops every 20 mins. At times the Draytek ties
itself in knots and needs rebooted.

As a test to see if I can bring some stability to the connection I'm
trying to use the Zyxel VMG8324-B10A, that was provided by my ISP,  as a
VDSL Modem and setting the Draytek to connect to it with PPPoE.

My question is where do I put the VLAN=101 setting? Should I do that in
the Zyxel Modem or the Draytek? This guide
(http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_bridge.htm) suggests
in the Zyxel. Which is confirmed by another VDSL setup I have where a
Draytek is connected to one of those white BT modems. The Draytek there
does not have the VLAN=101 setting.

It just that when I put the VLAN=101 setting in the Zyxel the Draytek
fails to connect with a "No response from Server Side" error.

I may end up packet sniffing between the two to see what happening at
the PPPoE level.

Any suggestions most welcome.

Thanks

Ken