[GLLUG] offsite backup recommendations?

James Roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Mon Sep 25 12:05:42 UTC 2017

Not what you asked for, but after multiple issues with various suppliers
we no longer use anything in the UK or Ireland or Iceland or Europe
(apart from our own structure, for commercial clients only - not an offer!)

We are currently planning on a move to Backblaze B2 for all Linux *third
level* DR purposes. We've been monitoring them for some years and they
*appear* solid... tbc.

It's priced in $ and its cheap.

There's plenty of Linux tools to talk to it (check out the clients page).

As many have said, you should encrypt at source.

This complicates single file recovery of course :)

So I'd look at your Synology for second level backup and restore and use
something like Backblaze B2 (or perhaps Amazon Glacier if not in a
hurry) for third level...

There is no perfect solution, just things that work depending on your
requirements.

MeJ

--
Stabilys Ltd		www.stabilys.com