[GLLUG] Debian interfaces and disable systemd

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Tue Apr 10 17:11:43 UTC 2018

Hi

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 05:45:42PM +0100, Henrik Morsing via GLLUG wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Debian Linode VPS, and rebooting it always annoys me as I have to
> manually add my additional IP address and restart all the services. I've
> read and followed both Linode and Debian guide on how to add it to the
> interfaces file, but recently realised it's because systemd ignores it.
>
> Linode guide said to disable systemd for networking, but I have been unable
> to get this to work.
>
> Can someone tell me how to get Debian to use the interfaces file, please?

That would depend on which version of Debian, and how far down the
"everything will be absorbed into systemd" path they have gone.

If it has the same problems as the beta releases of Ubuntu 18.04,
where systemd has effectively taken over networking (via networkd and
the netplan.io package), then you need to do a bit of work to continue
using the /etc/network/interfaces and the ifup/ifdown scripts:

1) Install the ifupdown package (or ifupdown2).

2) Enable the "legacy" networking service in systemd:
    sudo systemctl enable networking
    sudo systemctl start networking