[GLLUG] Debian interfaces and disable systemd

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 11:07:26 UTC 2018

On 10 April 2018 at 17:45, Henrik Morsing via GLLUG
<gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Debian Linode VPS, and rebooting it always annoys me as I have to
> manually add my additional IP address and restart all the services. I've
> read and followed both Linode and Debian guide on how to add it to the
> interfaces file, but recently realised it's because systemd ignores it.
>
> Linode guide said to disable systemd for networking, but I have been unable
> to get this to work.
>
> Can someone tell me how to get Debian to use the interfaces file, please?

I use Ubuntu that uses systemd.
I have never had a problem with it.
when "/etc/network/interfaces" exists, for the interfaces listed in
it, systemd and network manager give the interfaces file priority.
My use of interfaces has only been when I need to assign a PC a fixed
IP address.
Even that is mostly unnecessary, because I could have put all the
fixed IP addresses in the DHCP server.