[GLLUG] Debian interfaces and disable systemd

Tim Woodall t at woodall.me.uk
Sat Apr 14 20:04:23 UTC 2018

On Wed, 11 Apr 2018, Henrik Morsing via GLLUG wrote:

Sorry, late to the party.

> # /etc/network/interfaces
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto eth0
> allow-hotplug eth0
>
> iface eth0 inet6 auto
>
> iface eth0 inet static
>    address 178.79.147.39/24
>    gateway 178.79.147.1
>
> # IPv6 gateway and primary address.
> iface eth0 inet6 static
>  address 2a01:7e00::f03c:91ff:fe6e:8c84/64
>  gateway fe80::1
>
> # Add a second IPv6 address.
> iface eth0 inet6 static
>  address 2a01:7e00:e000:a4::1/64

I didn't know you could do this - have multiple stanzas for the same
interface and IP version.

I would have added some up and pre-down commands to the slaac stanza:

iface eth0 inet6 auto
   up ip addr add 2a01:.../64 dev eth0
   up ip route add 0::/0 dev eth0 nexthop via fe80::1
   pre-down ip -6 route del ...
   pre-down ip -6 addr del ...

(although I think for ipv6 the kernel deletes the routes and ips when
the interface goes down anyway (caused me grief trying to rename pppoe
interfaces to my isp)