[GLLUG] Debian interfaces and disable systemd

Henrik Morsing henrik at morsing.cc
Thu Apr 12 08:59:46 UTC 2018

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 09:51:07AM +0100, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
>On Tuesday, 10 April 2018 18:24:27 BST Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
>> Hello Henrik Morsing,
>> I am not an expert, but this seems to work with me using Debian Stretch.
>> The problem with multiple ethernet interfaces coming up in random order has
>> been sorted by re-naming them during the boot procedure according to their
>> physical location and interrupt order
>>
>> ip address show
>> ip address add [either IPv4 or IPv6 address] dev [device-name]
>>
>> Systemd may not be fully utilised, but almost anything not installed by
>> default needs to be enabled
>>
>> systemctl enable [package-name]
>> systemctl start [package-name]
>> systemctl status [package-name]
>>     any problem will be flagged, one at a time. Sort it, then repeat the
>> last two steps until you either get it to work or give up till tomorrow.
>
>Did this not work?

Hi Chris, do you still have your 240?

I read your email, but as I don't have multiple interfaces I think I skimmed the last bit too quickly, sorry.

I'm not sure I quite understand the approach though, and one of my problems with systemd is you only get a Microsoft style "Failed". If there was actually an error message, it would help a lot.

>> systemctl enable [package-name]

Which package do I need to install?

Thanks