[GLLUG] Debian interfaces and disable systemd

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Thu Apr 12 09:35:09 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 12 April 2018 09:59:34 BST Henrik Morsing via GLLUG wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 09:51:07AM +0100, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> >On Tuesday, 10 April 2018 18:24:27 BST Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> >> Hello Henrik Morsing,
> >> I am not an expert, but this seems to work with me using Debian Stretch.
> >> The problem with multiple ethernet interfaces coming up in random order
> >> has
> >> been sorted by re-naming them during the boot procedure according to
> >> their
> >> physical location and interrupt order
> >>
> >> ip address show
> >> ip address add [either IPv4 or IPv6 address] dev [device-name]
> >>
> >> Systemd may not be fully utilised, but almost anything not installed by
> >> default needs to be enabled
> >>
> >> systemctl enable [package-name]
> >> systemctl start [package-name]
> >> systemctl status [package-name]
> >>
> >>     any problem will be flagged, one at a time. Sort it, then repeat the
> >>
> >> last two steps until you either get it to work or give up till tomorrow.
> >
> >Did this not work?
>
> Hi Chris, do you still have your 240?
>
> I read your email, but as I don't have multiple interfaces I think I skimmed
> the last bit too quickly, sorry.
>
> I'm not sure I quite understand the approach though, and one of my problems
> with systemd is you only get a Microsoft style "Failed". If there was
> actually an error message, it would help a lot.
> >> systemctl enable [package-name]
>
> Which package do I need to install?
>
> Thanks
Hello Henrik,
I had many problems when I was trying to get multiple addresses on multiple
interfaces that were persistent after a re-boot, so I tried many methods. I
found that the above method worked.
If you install a package that does not appear to start then try the three
systemctl commands, part of systemd. I had to go through this with almost
every package I installed, and status will report the first error found, if
any. If I was updating a configuration it could be restart rather than start.
There are many IP and Systemd man pages, so use the apropos search.

As for the 240, I do in theory, but while I was one of the less than 4% who
survived a rather nasty and totally unexpected cancer I lost an eye to an
infection just before the op, so I prefer not to drive, but others are insured
to drive it.

--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk