[GLLUG] Charity WiFi, a bit off topic

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Apr 20 06:44:50 UTC 2018

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 04:29:27PM -0700, Greater London Linux UUG wrote:
>    As far as I recall, it's recommended that you have a wired, telephone
>    line powered phone available, so that you can make emergency services
>    calls even in the event of power failure.

BT is planning to switch POTS off by 2025:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/19/bt_pushes_ahead_with_plans_to_switch_of_traditional_telephone_network/

replacing it by fibre to carry VOIP. I don't know if that means to your house
(Premise) FTTP or to the street green Cabinet (FTTC).

I gather that the new setup will not provide power and BT will expect you have
battery powered emergency kit - I don't know the details; but I do know that
batteries degrade over time and that consumers rarely check them.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  https://www.phcomp.co.uk/