[GLLUG] Strange clock behavior

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Sun Dec 30 14:14:56 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 30 December 2018 13:29:31 GMT Alistair Mann via GLLUG wrote:
> On 30/12/2018 12:51, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I have a computer running fully updated KDE on Debian Stretch 24/7 with
> > top
> > showing over 99% idle yet the onscreen clock is stopping at random for
> > minutes at a time, with seconds sometimes jumping backwards and forwards.
> > Is anyone else seeing this, or can anyone suggest the cause, (perhaps a
> > failing BIOS battery)?
>
> If you make use of the computer (eg, typing, surfing etc) does it
> improve? If so my suspicion would include power-savingfeatures both of
> the OS, and within BIOS/UEFI; if not then I'd stroke my beard at ntp.
>
> Best wishes all

Yes it does normally jump to around the correct time, but at the same time it
can be displaying several windows, each logged in to other computers via SSH
and each running top updated normally, so the screen is being refreshed
normally.
I have also noticed that KDE can appear unstable, I have multiple KDE desktops
running, and sometimes get windows jumping between different desktops.
It is a fast computer with plenty of RAM.

--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk