[GLLUG] Strange clock behavior

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Sun Dec 30 14:37:06 UTC 2018

On 30/12/2018 13:29, Alistair Mann via GLLUG wrote:
> On 30/12/2018 12:51, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I have a computer running fully updated KDE on Debian Stretch 24/7
>> with top
>> showing over 99% idle yet the onscreen clock is stopping at random
>> for minutes
>> at a time, with seconds sometimes jumping backwards and forwards. Is
>> anyone
>> else seeing this, or can anyone suggest the cause, (perhaps a failing
>> BIOS
>> battery)?
>
> If you make use of the computer (eg, typing, surfing etc) does it
> improve? If so my suspicion would include power-savingfeatures both of
> the OS, and within BIOS/UEFI; if not then I'd stroke my beard at ntp.
>
> Best wishes all

I had similar problems with an old laptop - that was a BIOS battery
problem.  It used a 3.3V silver oxide "button" cell, which is virtually
unavailable these days.  I ended up with a couple of small rechargeable
(NiMH) cells and a simple charger circuit running from the 5V rail.  I
had to add a Schottky diode in series with the battery to reduce the
output voltage to the original 3.3V.  Every time the computer is turned
on, the battery is recharged, and experience shows that without use, the
cells remain charged enough to run the BIOS clock for about 3 months.

Cheers

Chris