[GLLUG] Software RAID advice

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Sat Jan 6 17:46:12 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 6 January 2018 16:42:28 GMT John Winters via GLLUG wrote:
> On 06/01/18 15:02, Imran Chaudhry via GLLUG wrote:
> > I'm setting up a new server which I'm going to be sysadmining on an
> > ad-hoc basis.

Linux has not always been able to boot from RAID, although RAID1 is usually
OK. Whether or not they are RAID, I usually have one partition as the current
system partition "/" , another formatted and named ("/future") but not used at
present, and another ("/srv") with symlinks as required, such as from "/home",
plus the usual "/swap". This allows me to install the next major distribution
upgrade in "/future", with the old "/" now listed in /etc/fstab as "/old". You
will find that /swap and the original /future will be re-formatted and given
different ID's, but you can now examine the new /etc/fstab and then edit the
/old/etc/fstab to suit, leaving both old and new bootable while you configure
the new /.
Beware that any crash or power failure will force the next boot to be in
single mode until the RAID system has compared the parts (in the background)
and ensured that they match, so you may wish to consider a UPS.
A rackmount box will usually be designed so that it remains cool even when
squeezed in between other boxes creating lots of heat, and will generate more
noise than a free-standing tower case with the power supply and its fan near
the top.
Top of the range hard drives may spin faster and could produce more noise,
although some are designed to be used as just one of many together, where
there is a risk of combined resonance effects causing early failure, so more
care is taken over bearing design.
"Green" drives that spin down until required have a bit of a bad reputation
because of the much greater number of spin-up causing early failures, the only
failure I have had recently was one of a pair of "green" RAID drives.

--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk