[GLLUG] Software RAID advice

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sat Jan 6 18:30:14 UTC 2018

On 06/01/18 17:45, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
[snip]
> Linux has not always been able to boot from RAID, although RAID1 is usually
> OK.

RAID1 is fine (not "usually").

I understand that modern boot loaders can even cope with RAID5 but
personally I wouldn't risk it.

If I were setting up a system with RAID5 data, I would still create a
256M partition at the beginning of each disk, and join them all in a
RAID1 array.  Then install the boot loader on all the disks.

This has the advantage that any changes to /boot are propagated to all
the drives, and should you lose one at some time you will still be able
to boot.

For the current system though there really isn't any point in using
RAID5.  Just buy two disks of the required size and use RAID1.

John