[GLLUG] X questions

Tim Woodall t at woodall.me.uk
Mon Jan 8 09:39:32 UTC 2018

On Sun, 7 Jan 2018, Tim Woodall via GLLUG wrote:

> By changing the Xcursor theme to whiteglass I get the pointer back
> except when over the xterms started from the machine I actually work on.
>
> Cygwin X terms have the normal I pointer. But the remote ones dont.
>
> Now I can just ssh from a cygwin xterm to the box I work on but work
> doesn't let that use an ssh keyfile so I have to enter my password each
> time I want a new xterm.
>
> Second question: why don't the xterms started from the remote host seem
> to pick up the X server's Xresources related to the cursor? Other stuff
> works, I can control where and how big the xterm is but cannot get the
> cursor to appear.

I think I've now sorted this although I realize I don't fully understand
how X client apps work.

By creating ~/.icons/whiteglass on the remote machine (copy from
/use/share/icons/whiteglass on cygwin) it now appears everything is
working consistently.

I guess that the normal way of running everything on one machine allows
you to be confused about who needs which resources.