[GLLUG] blacklist *-gov.uk

Andy Smith andy at bitfolk.com
Wed Jul 11 13:05:36 UTC 2018

Hello,

Sorry, can't advise about configuration of Sendmail. Haven't touched
it in almost 20 years now! Always found Postfix and Exim to be much
better and never felt the need to go back.

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 01:38:28PM +0100, Tim Woodall via GLLUG wrote:
> I wish the registrar would just reject any -gov.uk domain request
> though.

My local council used/uses hounslow-gov.uk as a domain to send
mailouts about changes to the way we pay council tax. This is a
domain administered by a contractor to multiple local authorities,
so I doubt our council is the only one doing this.

At the time they introduced it, many people complained that their
mailouts were reminiscent of spam, and indeed were often classified
as spam. So much so that they had to take to social media to tell
people that it was in fact from the council:

    <https://www.facebook.com/HounslowCouncil/photos/a.326021764079951.97145.214978655184263/2194213000594142/?type=3&theater>

So sorry, despite us having a gov.uk DNS hierarchy so this sort of
thing wouldn't happen and you could easily distinguish legitimate
government sites, our local government is too stupid to use it and
your idea will not work in my opinion.

Cheers,
Andy